Monday, October 10, 2016

Why I Write

Some do it for the money.
Some do it for the sliver of a chance at fame.
Some do it for the passion inside them.
And some do it to bleed out the poisons ensnaring them.

Why do I write?

I write in order to live.
I write in order to breathe.
I write in order to be.

There's much discussion in the digital realm of social media on why people write. I have seen all sorts of reasons...and some of these I've mentioned up above. But on the other side of this coin, I have also seen people express their opinions about the fact that some "reasons for writing" are more valued than others. 

I have seen some people put down others who say they write in order to make money, and I have seen people disparaged because their writing passions veer off the traditional path in one way or another.

Let me clear: no one has the right to invalidate you for your writing life.

With that said, I'd like to express some of the reasons I write. 


The Freedom of Expression

As long as I can remember, I've always adored the freedom that writing allowed me. Many times, I felt myself overwhelmed with an idea or an emotion, but when I tried to verbalize it, it would come out as a confusing and garbled mess of schemas and patterns I saw between people and the outside world.

Since my childhood, I have worked on becoming more verbally articulate since I love to help others and instruct in my professional life, but writing is still my stronger suit. Writing allows me to express the inner workings of my mind along with the happy idealistic notions that stir my heart.

I express all of these things through my writing, and this is one of the main reasons I want to keep pursuing writing as a lifelong goal. I may express my notions through the protagonist, villain or side character, or I may express my exact opposite opinions just to see if I can understand a specific point of view.

Writing allows me the ability to express whatever I need to, and that is why it has become vital to my well-being as a person. 

The Love of Creating Something From Nothing

I also write because I truly enjoy creating something from nothing. In this world full of darkness, insensitivities, violence, and vitriol, I write to create an escape for myself and for others who may read my work. Making something exist where there was nothing before gives me a sense of accomplishment somehow.

So I create: peoples, cultures, societies and worlds with gusto to fulfill a need I have to bring warmth and light into this world...however small my contribution may be.

The Ability to Process

I write to process things both positive and negative in my life. I tackle themes like bullying, finding your identity, and the struggles with being different in the world because they are personal and important to me. 

Especially when I was a teen and young adult, writing fan fiction allowed me to confront my demons, come up with answers to problems, and relive my happiest moments in other forms. And now that I am an adult writing her own original works, these same things continue to aid me in my creative process. 

I have cried alongside my characters, fallen in love all over again, and battled insecurities under the guise of strong, fanciful men and women. They have helped me come to terms with my life, and through writing their stories, I have gained a sense of peace about my own past.

Financial Stability

Don't get me wrong...I'm not naive enough to think that it will be raining money once I publish a novel. But, it is a goal of mine to achieve some sort of greater financial stability with my writing career. The more I go through this life, the more I realize how easily burnt out I am in a typical 9-5 job. This is why writing is important to me, because doing something that I love as a career excites me for the future...it doesn't wear me out.

I have seen others on social media say that seeking money with writing is not commendable and that one should do it only for the love of the craft. But like any creative outlet, I truly believe that you can do it for both reasons. 

You begin with it from the love of storytelling, but you pursue it with every fiber of your being to fulfill other goals you may have (financial stability being one of these goals).

The Passion of Art

And lastly, I write because I have a passion for the art form. I devour books as a reader, and writing something that others may love makes me one happy duck. I've mentioned this before in my Pokemon GO post, but I love writing because I can be anything, and I can do anything. Limitless possibility gives my soul a jump-start in a world that can seem stale, mundane, or downright scary at times.

I love the art of writing for all of the things listed and more, and it is this passion that I have to remember when routines and writing stalls grip me in the middle of a project. 


Why do you write? Tell me in the comments, or find me on Twitter! And if you like these writerly reflections, be sure to sign up using the pop up box in the corner~

1 comment:

  1. Find out how THOUSAND of people like YOU are earning their LIVING from home and are living their dreams right NOW.
    SUBSCRIBE NOW

    ReplyDelete