Monday, June 13, 2016

☆My Revision Process☆

Hello All!

I hope your summer is treating you well. Today, I thought I'd share with you my revision process when it comes to my novel-length works. I know some people think that editing only requires you to look for misspelling and grammar mistakes, but revisions require much more legwork in my opinion.


Why?


Because you are reading over your work for things like plot and structure, character development and their motivations. The grammar, word choice, and style all come into revisions/editing as well, but I focus on those aspects further in the process.


My rule of thumb in regards to revisions: Start with the big picture, and then get to the details. 


In other words, my first few "passes" of revision focus on the manuscript (MS) as a whole, then down the to the chapter level and so on until I get to the sentence level. Here's an outline of my revision process...I mix and combine passes while sending my work out to various people along the way, too. Feel free to use any or all of these steps in your own revision process.


My Revision Process

1. Finish the entire manuscript:
 the most important step IMO. You can't edit what's not there.


2. 1st pass=
 denote plot holes, gaps in character development, weak character motivations: I print out the MS, color-coding my notes by Plot, Character Development, Theme/Motivation, Description. Hence my MS gets very colorful after this pass.


3. 2nd pass=
insert world-building/thin out unnecessary exposition chunks. 


4. 3rd pass=
 work on pacing to ensure it is easy to read in terms of action scenes vs. non-action/character scenes.


5. 4th pass= check dialogue for consistency and voice.

6. 5th pass= clean up "filter words'/verb-subject agreement.

7. 6th pass= focus on nitty gritty of grammar/sentence style.

8. Send off to betas/CPs: If you'd like a Beta Template Sheet to keep track of what you send out, let me know, and I can e-mail it to you.




What does your revision process look like? Comment below or tell me on Twitter!


If there's anything you'd like me to cover more in depth, just let me know!

☆And as always, may your words be great and your pages many☆

No comments:

Post a Comment