Monday, June 6, 2016

My new (writing) best friend: Neo 2!


Hello All!

As some of you know, I have been working since November 2015 on a manuscript I hope to traditionally publish. While I was still in the honeymoon stage about my book and about my writing skills, the words flowed easily out of me without much poking and prodding.

But now that I'm at the ends of writing, if there was an award for the best procrastinator, I'd win it.

Youtube is my loudest siren's song...after all, why write when I can watch everything from makeup tutorials to how to care for my hypothetical chinchilla?


So I found myself being distracted, and with that, came writer's block. I knew I had to change my routine if I was ever going to finish this manuscript.


I've tried apps (I'd still find a way to waste time on the internet), I've tried setting my phone to airplane mode (I missed calls), and I've tried blacking out the full-screen mode in Scrivener (this worked, but I still struggled with the fact that I hate bringing my laptop everywhere just to write)



What was my solution?

Enter the Alphasmart Neo2.


This little gadget ran me around 30 dollars on Amazon, and it's basically a word-processor. While the more hip-inspired, Freewrite is going for hundreds of dollars and weighs more than I'd like to carry in a bag to a coffeeshop, the Neo2 is a little bigger than a full-sized keyboard and much easier to lug around.


The screen doesn't hurt my eyes like staring into the digital abyss that is my laptop screen, and my eyes are no doubt thanking me for this.


The keyboard itself is nice to work on---somewhere between a mechanical keyboard from way back when and the new keyboards in laptops like in Apple products.


Now, instead of bringing my heavy laptop with me on trips and agonizing over making sure I have it with me at all times so it doesn't get stolen, I bring Neo2 and I'm all set for writing sprints while traveling.


There's no internet, no connectivity to the outside world at all. All I can do is write. And that works for me.


But what I really like about this product is the fact that it works for an extremely long time without needing to replace batteries. Not having to seek out a power outlet ensures me that I can really write anywhere, and I love that.


All in all, I give my little gadget a 5 out of 5 stars simply because it does exactly what it was designed to do...get me to write without distraction.



What do you do for distraction-free writing? Tell me in the comments or reply to me on Twitter!

And as always, may your words be great and your pages many☆

No comments:

Post a Comment