Friday, April 8, 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo!

Hello All!

It's Day 8 of Camp NaNoWriMo, so I thought I'd make a blog post about this month's camp. 

Photo from: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/camp-nanowrimo

For those of you who don't know, Camp NaNoWriMo is a "virtual writer’s retreat, designed for maximum flexibility and creativity. [Camp NaNoWriMo has] sessions in both April and July, and welcome word-count goals between 30 and 1,000,000. In addition, writers can tackle any project they’d like, including new novel drafts, revision, poetry, scripts, and short stories." (from the Camp NaNo website found here) As with the main NaNo event, Camp lasts for 30 days.

In between the big NaNo month of November, writers can work on projects of their choosing. I love these virtual write-ins for several reasons:



  • They happen throughout the year: rather than getting all of your writing done in November only to slack off in the coming months, these "camps" keep up the momentum for writers who need that extra push.
  • They keep writers accountable: I find this the most helpful aspect of Camp, since I need an outside support system to help spur me on to the path of publication.
  • Ability to join "cabins": Differing from the big NaNo event in November, cabins allow writers to form their own writing area with other like-minded individuals.You can be sorted into a "public cabin" based on various specification, or you can make your own/be invited to join a "private cabin." I love this because you are able to see who is in your cabin and interact with others through a small forum-based set-up. I use the forum to ask writing-related questions and to post about how my goals are working out.
  • Good way to meet new writers:Whether you start a small cabin or join a public one, engaging with other authors helps me to open up about my writing and potentially, can land more eyes on my manuscript. Of course, I am willing to give back to other authors as well by beta-reads or critiques---don't join simply to gain something without giving back.
  • Keeps me in a writing routine: As I've said before, I'm the type of writer that treats writing like going to the gym. If I have a set schedule I stick to, I'm fine. But, if I slack off and stop writing, well then...my writing muscles start to go from a WigglyTUFF to a JigglyPUFF (See what I did there...yes? No? Move on? Right...) Camp helps me to keep up the writing routine. 
Are you participating in Camp NaNoWriMo?

That's all I have for you today! On the right column, enter your e-mail address to keep up to date with new blog posts! 

☆~May your words be great, and your pages many~☆

2 comments:

  1. The ending joke concerning WigglyTuff and JigglyPuff seriously made me laugh. Keep up the good work on your blogs and meeting your writing goals for Camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're able to comment! :D And I'm glad you liked my weak attempt at a joke...your jokes make me smile all the time on your blog, so I thought I'd like my snarky side show a little.

    ReplyDelete