Friday, February 12, 2016

5 Things to Bring to a Writer's Workshop

Picture credit: http://thehoustonwritingworkshop.com/
Hello All! 

I recently attended my first writer's workshop on February 6th. It was an all-day event, with the main speaker being Writer's Digest's Chuck Sambuchino. We learned how to get our work published, our publishing options, and how to build a writer's/author's platform using social media and marketing tactics. So much invaluable information in one sitting. I met some great contacts, fellow writers, and really challenged myself to step out of my introverted comfort zone. 


But by far the most useful to me was the panel of literary agents who judged opening pages submitted by those in attendance. Once an agent would have "rejected" a piece or stopped reading, they would put up a hand. If two people put their hands up, they would then explain "why" they would have rejected something. Very insightful, to say the least. 


So without further ado, here are 5 things to bring to a writer's workshop/conference:



  • Materials: Whatever works best for you to take notes, bring it. I find that taking notes during a speaker's presentation helps me to retain the info much better. Also, I can use those notes as reference instead of racking my brain for old info. Also, bring along any pages of your manuscript that you may be asked to submit as well as your pitch that you may be saying to an agent during the day.

  • Business Cards: I am so glad I brought some business cards because nearly everyone I spoke with asked me for my contact info. It's much easier to hand them a single card rather than scribbling it down on paper. It doesn't have to be fancy cards or ones that say "Author" on them---as long as people have a way to reach you/find you, that's good enough.

  • Water/Snacks: Some of these events run for several hours without a break. If you are the kind who needs something between meals, bring a non-messy snack like trail mix and some water. Gotta' keep hydrated, y'all~ 

  • Extra Cash:Some events sell merchandise like books or bags. Bring some extra cash in case they don't accept credit/debit cards.

  • A Good Attitude: A writer's workshop is a great way to meet new, like-minded people. They, like you, are all there to learn and grow in some way. Rather than treat people like your fellow competition in the writing world, be open and kind and willing to listen. You never know what may come out of it.



How's your writing life going? Write a comment here or find me on Twitter @Evie_Redding



I hope your words are great, and your pages are many.

☆Evie☆




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time!! Were you able to submit something while you were there? I've never been to a writer's workshop, but now I really want to! What a valuable experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely did! I didn't submit anything there because I thought my stuff was still too rough to be taken seriously. But, I gained a lot of insight and confidence in my own writing, so it was a day well spent! :D

      Delete