Sunday, November 8, 2015

Losing Steam?

Picture from Reddit
Now that the first week of NaNoWriMo has come and gone, some of you (myself included) may be losing momentum. No matter how much you plan, outline, or flesh out your characters beforehand, writing a novel-length work vs. an outline will never be the same. 

Maybe you're having trouble with the flow and pacing, or maybe the plot seems not be working out as you hoped. All of these things can put a damper on your word count. And NaNo is all about that word count (in theory).

So, my friend, what can you do if you find yourself scraping the bottom of your creative barrel? Do something else. Don't write. Give yourself a break for a half a day or two. I find reading to be a nice way to recharge my batteries as it gives me insight into how other authors put together words on their pages. You may find listening to music or taking a walk helps. Others may prefer to clean the house or go out to eat. Whatever you do, it's about allowing yourself some time to catch your breath. The words aren't going anywhere. They will wait until you discover them.

I'd like to share with you what I'm reading during this time, and maybe it will help you get out of a writing rut. Or maybe we can read along together~:


  • The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin: Interesting fantasy world with a magic system based on Jungian psychological principles mixed with Egyptian flavor. It may be slow for some, but I did enjoy the world-building effort she put in her book since my own work is woefully lacking in the world-building department.
  • Angelfall by Susan Ee: I have seen BookTubers rave about this book, and since it's somewhat of an urban fantasy (I tend to get hazy on genre/category distinctions), I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure how I feel about it so far, but the premise is promising. 
  • Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson: This will be my first epic fantasy apart from the Lord of the Rings series. It's an incredibly dense first book, so I'm a bit weary to try it out, but we'll see how it goes!
  • The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson: I'm really looking forward to this one as I have heard nothing but good things about this author.
  • The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: Very interesting so far, but I'm only a few chapters in. Out of everything I've read from this list, he is the one that I write most like. Here's to hoping the story's a good one!


What do you do to keep up the momentum?

As you can no doubt guess, I have a preference for fantasy, to say the least. I guess this is a good thing since my own work is fantasy as well. xD 

That's all for now. Remember: you can write. I know you can.

☆Evie☆


No comments:

Post a Comment