Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Help! I don't feel like a writer!

Photo Credit: http://ppmfa.com.au/
Hello all!

Many writers, whether new or experienced, have gone through self-defeating thoughts at one point or another in their lives. They may have thoughts like, "I don't feel like a writer!" or "I'm not a real writer." These negative thoughts can derail one's confidence, lower one's ambitions, and overall, make someone not feel so great about themselves. 


But, here's the thing: if you write, you are a writer. Let me repeat that again for those in the back---You writing=you being a writer.


"But Evie!" you say, "I only write poems in my diary!"
You are a writer.


"But, Evie, I only write fanfiction!"
You are a writer.


"But...but, I've never been published!"

::sigh:: Let me tell you again. You are a writer.


Don't worry, I have these insecurities as well. There are times when I don't feel like a writer. So, what can you and I do to stop these negative thoughts?


  • Find the root of your worries:Do you not feel like a writer because you think your writing skills are not up to par with the books you read in the stores? Is your confidence low because of a particularly bad writing critique or review you've received? Asking yourself the "why" you feel the way you do is the first step to dealing with it.

  • Level Up: scour Google-sensei for writing tips, writing videos, writing exercises...you get the idea. Whatever you feel your weakest skills are in writing, that's what you need to work on improving. Leveling up your writing can boost your confidence, and help you feel better about the quality of work you do. No one is ever too old to learn, nor should anyone be too prideful to learn new things.

  • Talk in a positive language:This one is especially tough for me, but the idea is to teach yourself to think kind thoughts in regards to yourself. Instead of thinking, "I suck." / "My writing sucks.", try, "What can I do to improve?" Try to steer clear of negative words that bring you down like "can't", "won't", "never", "impossible" etc. Treat yourself with patience and kindness, and you may be surprised with how much you are able to progress in other areas of your life.

  • Set Goals: Why is it you write? Is it for personal reflection only? Do you hope to be published someday? Or is your goal somewhere in between? Whatever it is, I find I feel "more like a writer" when I have a clear goal in mind for my writing. Do you want to write 1000 words a day? Finish a novel? Start a blog? Start with small, easily attainable goals that can easily add up to a confidence boost. 


What do you do to help yourself feel like a writer?



Now, while I say these things, I do think there is a difference between being a writer and being an author. This distinction, for me personally, has helped me view myself in a different light. Because while I am a writer now, it is my goal to be a traditionally published author. I want to write books as a career, but I've got to start somewhere. That somewhere happens to be NaNoWriMo 2015, but it may be different for you depending on what you want to do with your writing.


That's all for now...I hope to see you here again soon! Is there anything listed that you'd like me to go into more depth about? Let me know!


☆Evie☆ 


3 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I definitely agree that writers have these insecurities, and it's important to keep on writing. You have to write for yourself, not to please people around you or just to get published. Staying positive is also important! I am writing a fantasy novel right now and it's so much more work than I thought it would be! Writing a novel is an intense and emotional business, but so rewarding. I'm close to the end; my goal is to finish sometime next year and then start revising. What are you working on right now? Nice to meet you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am also working on a fantasy novel--my aim is around 100,000 words by the end of the year, and then revisions, edits and querying. You're so right, it's very intense and emotional to write a novel. We writer-folk must stick together! :D

    Very nice to meet you, too, and I look forward to hearing about your work as it progresses, too~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aiming for 100,000 words too! I'm at about 76,000 words I've got a little ways to go. :) I know I'll have a lot of revising and editing to do, not to mention adding things in or cutting others out. It's a real job! Are you going to write a post where you talk about what your novel is about? I wrote one here:http://ophelialeong.blogspot.com/2015/09/a-peek-into-zaleas-world-part-1.html . Take care and looking forward to reading more of your blog!

      Delete